Saturday, March 24, 2012

Journal Entry 03-24-12

Greetings! It's been a long time since I've posted to the blog, but it's also been a very busy semester (as I'm sure it has been for you as well!). UIL Concert & Sight Reading Contest is thankfully behind us, and I'm proud to report the band made a 1st Division in Concert and a 2nd Division in Sight Reading. They were talented enough to make a 1 in Sight Reading, but a few missed notes in the beginning I think led to a lack of confidence afterwards. Even so, I walked away feeling great about the day. It was the first "Superior" rating they've had on stage since 2009 (the final year of their last good director). I found a new sight reading book at TMEA that I'm very interested in, which I think will be a major improvement over what I did this year. I know that the best days are ahead of this band, and that this was a major turning point.


The kids and the town were also really excited when I announced that the 1 on stage meant we were advancing to the UIL State Wind Ensemble Festival. Most of the best performances of my life were at that festival, on the stage of the Bates Recital Hall with my high school honor band. I explained to the band that it's a showcase of superior bands. You can earn gold medals, but there are no ratings. It's about reaching the highest possible level of musical excellence. I also told the officers at the beginning of the year that there is a whole world of music and artistry that lies "beyond 1st Division", and reminded them of that, because that's exactly what we're doing in rehearsal now. It's really, really cool.

I'm also really excited for this Friday. The typical spring trip for the band involves a day trip to perform at a festival (in a HS auditorium) and then go to Six Flags. Well, Six Flags is closed this Friday, but we will be performing at the Morton H. Meyerson Symphony Center. This is one of Director's Choice's premium events. It was really expensive, and in fact we wouldn't have made it were it not for an incredible donation by a local fund. This is by far the nicest venue they've performed in. It's also the nicest I have performed in. When I booked it I wondered if maybe I should save it for next year, but then I thought, being a first year teacher, who knew if I would be any good or if I would even get a second year? Might as well go for it, right?

Anyway, one of my friends told me that he got to perform there and that it is still one of, if not the most memorable musical experience of his life. Starting this year the band as a whole had a low self-esteem, and not suprisingly, many of its members suffer from the same thing. I wanted to give them the chance to do something amazing, as individuals and as a group. It has the potential to be an "Aha" moment for them.

They've been sounding really good in rehearsal this past week, but due to STAAR testing all we have is a two hour rehearsal after school next week. Hopefully they'll still be in good shape Friday morning so that they can truly have a great performance. Plus, they'll get a mini-clinic on stage afterwards, which is also a cool deal.

It's been really rewarding. Last semester was so hard, and this one has continued to be challenging, but more and more I feel my skill level increase as theirs does. Before UIL it was a joy to go to work, but it was also stressful to varying degrees. Now I feel like it's just a joy. My sense of humor is slowly coming out on the podium. I don't know... I'm just grateful.

I can hear the band improving every day. They're starting to get some success. And with two major performances on the horizon, I just can't wait to see the level of musicianship and pride we reach by year's end. Things are well at home, except for bed time when our 7 month old struggles to go to sleep, despite our efforts to create a routine. But during the day it's pretty great. My wife is amazing. Both of our kids are amazing. My older son is an incredible big brother and a very sweet and helpful boy. We have a hard time getting by on just my salary, but it's been worth it. Sure, we have our complaints here and there, but they're usually small things. Ultimately, we're doing what we want to do. We're living our dream. How many people can say that? So yeah, I just feel grateful and joyful.

Well, I have a couple of ideas for forthcoming entries. I'll have even more time to brainstorm during STAAR testing this week. But seeing as it's been a while, I wanted to update on how things are, both for my family and friends that read as well as for the sake of dusting off my writing. Thank you for reading, and until next time, take care!

Musically yours,
Mr. Cooper

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...