Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Bernstein on Conducting, from Omnibus

Greetings!

When I began studying conducting, one of the first things I did was hop on YouTube to try to find good videos to watch. It can really help to get inspired by the greats. Originally I only found an excerpt of this show, but lucky for all of us it is now available in full. On this Omnibus show, Leonard Bernstein, for a national audience, discusses the role of the conductor by explaining the technical knowledge and abilities a conductor must posses, as well as the process one goes through when studying a score.

No doubt for most of you it won't be anything new, but I think you'll find many interesting or inspiring things in this video even if you don't learn a whole lot. After all, this show was produced for laymen. Of course, I just find it inspiring to see Bernstein talk about conducting, and to see him at work, educating the public and helping them to understand and develop a love for classical music. We should all aspire to be that good at it.

One other quick note. I don't know if anyone else has this problem with YouTube videos, but for me they occasionally stop part way through. Simply reload the page, then drag the time indicator over to where you left off. I hope you enjoy the video, and if you do, I encourage you to check out the other Omnibus videos on YouTube, where you'll no doubt learn much more.











Musically yours,
Mr. Cooper

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...